Consulting Services in Support of Heber City’s General Plan Update
NOTICE TO BIDDERS
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that bids for consulting services in support of Heber City’s General Plan Update will be accepted by Heber City. Bids will be accepted at the office of the City Recorder, 75 North Main Street, Heber City, Utah until Monday, December 3, 2018 at 1:00 p.m. Said bids shall be clearly marked and may be sent by email, hand deliver or hard copy mailing. Right is reserved to reject any or all bids and to waive any informalities or irregularities in any bid or in the bidding. All questions should be submitted in writing to Tony Kohler at .
Request for Consulting Services in Support of Heber City’s General Plan Update
Release Date: 11/13/18
Preface: Heber Municipal Corporation, a political subdivision of the State of Utah is seeking a qualified firm, individual or consultant to work closely with a steering committee and City officials to assist in updating the City’s General Plan. Specifically, the City seeks a firm, individual or consultant to develop and implement a promotion strategy to maximize public involvement in the plan’s update and to draft a new long-term vision that accurately reflects the Community’s will.
Background: Last updated in 2003, the City’s General Plan requires revision to reflect current growth trends and inclusion of a concise, forward looking community vision. The update will entail casting a forward vision encompassing a planning period of 30 years---Envision Heber 2050 has been picked to encapsulate the advancement of this vision. Heber City intends to use a three (3) phase process for updating its General Plan. Phase 1) Community vision development—phase entails development of a broad, comprehensive, forward looking community vision for Heber. The vision statement will serve to inspire and inform the drafting to the plan’s elements. Phase 2) Plan elements--Heber’s plan update anticipates incorporating nine (9) elements, including land use, affordable housing, transportation, parks & trails, main street/downtown, open space & sensitive lands, economic development, historic preservation & community design, and annexation policy. Each element will provide goals and objectives for achieving the broader community vision. Phase 3) Code drafting--The final phase entails updating City codes to ensure they are in alignment with the newly established vision and plan elements. The code rewrite will help ensure element objectives and goals are achieved.
Plan Update Process: The General Plan Update will be overseen by a Steering Committee, made up of approximately 12 representatives, supported by City staff. The Committee is responsible for overseeing the General Plan Update process. Although the Committee will oversee the update process, the City intends to utilize consultants for project promotion & vision drafting, elements drafting, and land use technical analysis.
Timeline: Work of the promotion & vision drafting consultant will include involvement in phases 1 and 2 of the General Plan Update process. It is anticipated that phase 1 would be completed by late spring or early summer 2019 and phase 2 in December 2019. Phase one will naturally entail significant public involvement, while phase 2 requiring much less intensive involvement.
Scope of Work: Expected outcomes of the promotion consultant includes the following:
1) Develop and implement effective promotion strategy to maximize public involvement and input through phase 1 and 2. Strategy should include development and use of consistent branding (utilizing Envision Heber 2050), use of social media platforms, and traditional communication platforms, including local radio and print.
2) Develop and implement strategy to keep community members informed during duration of project phases 1 and 2.
3) Strategic utilization of survey mediums (2 to 3 surveys) to solicit and measure community values and preferences on vision and plan elements.
4) Oversee 2 to 3 community open houses and strategic use of stakeholder focus groups to engage community members on key aspects of the vision and plan elements.
5) Work closely and receive direction from the Steering Committee.
6) Draft concise vision statement that accurately represents community sentiment. Statement must be concise, graphic intensive, but provide sufficient context for drafting of plan elements.
7) Present vision statement to City Council and Planning Commission.
Ultimately the consultant is expected to achieve broad community buy-in of the final vision statement and plan elements.
Submittal Requirements: City intends to use an Open Market Procedure, as outlined in section 3.14.050 of the City’s Procurement Policy, to procure consultant services for project promotion and vision drafting. Firms submitting a price quote must provide the following information:
1) Name of Firm.
2) Firm Principle(s).
3) Location of Firm (location should reflect site which majority of work will be completed).
4) Name of Project Lead: Firm is to assign person to serve as project lead. This person will be the primary contact for the City.
5) Statement of Qualifications.
6) Statement of Work Approach: Statement is to reflect consultants understanding of work to be completed and approach for completing work.
7) Price Quote/Cost Proposal: Hourly rate for each project participant along with estimate for completing scope of work.
8) Special Considerations and Innovative Ideas: Please include, in summary format, special project considerations and innovative ideas for undertaking and completing the project scope.
9) Heber Involvement: Please provide brief overview of working knowledge and familiarity of Heber City/Community.
10) Project Contract: Please note willingness to execute a service contract with Heber City for completion of work. Sample contract will be provided upon request.
Submittal Deadline: Price quotes with accompanying information must be received by Heber City Recorder’s Office no later than Monday, December 3, 2018, by 1 p.m. Requested information may be delivered by email, hand delivery, or hard copy mailing.
Award: Award shall be made to lowest responsive bidder.
Questions: Please forward questions to Planning Director, Tony Kohler or City Manager, Matt Brower.